Hangyodon is a nice guy who loves to make others laugh, but has a soft spot and doesn't like being alone. He desires to be a hero but his plans of heroism often go awry. Hangyodon also loves collecting merchandise based on himself and is a bit of a romantic.
Friends and Family
Sayuri (Voiced by Rei Sakuma and Mina Tominaga) - Is a very happy and optimistic girl born on May 9th in Japan. She is very curious and enjoys collecting fans (although her prized possession is a jewel) and also likes dumplings and sour food using a lot of vinegar. Sayuri has a flexible body and can do amazing acrobatic moves! Her blood type is B.
Otamaro (Voiced by Tsutomu Kasiwakura) - A tadpole with front legs from a river in Japan who was born on December 10th and created in April 1986. He likes to take walks and eat along with taking life at his own pace. Otamaro's charm point is crying while he has an A Blood Type.
Itaro (Voiced by Eiko Yamada) - Was born on January 2nd at 3:45:06 AM. Itaro loves to invent gadgets (although it seems nothing he makes is ever usable) and enjoys Japanese comedy. He tends to have a discreet personality and is as hard-headed as a computer and because of that he has a high memory capacity which allows him to remember the exact time he was born.
The Sea Otter Bar Owner - He is the owner of Ebisen's Bar, a place Hangyodon sometimes visits.
Mr. Seahorse (Voiced by Yoshitada Otsuka) - A regular at Ebisen's Bar who also has a young daughter.
Sumire (Name translates to Violet) - She is Hangyodon's younger sister who was created in January 1986, one year after Hangyodon's debut; born on November 18th. She differs from her brother in that Sumire is a salamander rather than a half-fish. Sumire has a strong personality, is a hard worker, and likes to clean. She is very competitive and refuses to lose and can be a bit harsh sometimes. Sumire has a job at the Aquarium and her favorite food is Umeboshi. Sumire has an A Blood Type.
Kingyochan (name literally meaning Goldfish, Voiced by Miho Yoshida) - Originally Hangyodon's goldfish he got from a carnival, she was able to transform to be with Hangyodon for a short time before the magic wore off.
Kingyochan met Hangyodon when he was having trouble catching goldfish at a carnival when a nice man who happened to be running the Goldfish Catching game that day decided to give him a red goldfish after feeling sorry for him. Hangyodon was so happy about receiving the goldfish that he spent a lot of time with her, and Kingyochan ended up falling in love with him.
Her pure wish and desire (along with also wanting to thank him for caring for her) to be with Hangyodon granted her the ability to appear in front of him as his girlfriend.
Unfortunately, the romance was very short lived as the magic only lasted for three days. Afterward, Hangyodon had no idea what actually happened and believes she just decided to disappear, but still thinks about her from time to time.
She tends to be quite shy and prefers to quietly stay away from things.
Hisato Inoue was tasked with assisting in the Japanese only 1998 video game Sanrio Timenet: Kako-Hen and Mirai-Hen. While some of the characters may strictly be Imagineer/Timenet's creations, he did talk about his role in the creation of two evolutions of Hangyodon; Great Hangyo and Hangyodon Robo on Twitter. In the staff credits, Hisato Inoue is listed as working for the character design for a company called Inspace.
Great Hangyo is Hangyodon wearing a super hero suit, while Hangyodon Robo is Hangyodon in a mech/robot suit.
- Hangyodon's huge round eyes and full lips were based on Hisato's.
- Hangyodon has had his own comic series in the Strawberry News, "Hangyodon" and "Hangyodon's Lecture of Manners".
- Hangyodon's friend Sayuri eventually got her own comic series which was also printed in the Strawberry News.
- Hangyodon was a regular guest in the Strawberry News' Chitty Chatty Strawberry column.
- Sometime after her introduction, Kingyochan began making regular appearances in Strawberry News.
- Hangyodon has starred in several anime films of his own such as Meitantei Hangyodon: Kaitou Ruzu Arawaruno-kan, Hangyodon no Parallel Daisakusen: Hana no Oedo wa Oosawagi, Hangyodon no 007/2: Doctor Sunday Arawaru no Maki, and Hangyodon no Parallel Daisakusen: Kyouryuu Oukoku wa Oosawagi.
- Hangyodon also stars in Sam to Chip no wa Hachamecha Dai Race as a racer, with other characters from his universe such as Otamaro and Kingyochan appearing as audience members.
- Hangyodon plays a big role in the Sanrio anime film Pokopon no Yukai na Saiyuuki.
- Despite debuting first, Hangyodon shares some similarities with Badtz-Maru including being made by Hisato Inoue:
- Both characters usually don't wear clothing unless something such as going into space or surfing takes place.
- Both happen to be animals whose species' are linked to water in some way.
- Hangyodon and Badtz-Maru both have at least one female friend (Hangyodon with Sayuri and Badtz-Maru with Pandaba).
- Both characters have several brothers and sisters.
- There is at least one romantic pairing where one character is blue and the other is red (Hangyodon himself with Kingyochan and Badtz-Maru's parents).
- In the 2017 Sub-Character Contest in The Strawberry News, Kingyochan placed 48th.
- Otamaro's name is based on the Japanese word for tadpole, "Otama-Jakushi" and his name consists of the first half of the word.
- Hangyodon's name is spelled out to read "Half-fish man" in Kanji.
- Hangyodon was first displayed on The Strawberry News' magazine cover in the October 1985 issue (No. 212)
- In The Strawberry New’s "Sanrio Character Awards", Hangyodon won 3rd place in 1986.
- At one point Hangyodon was set to have an anime series, but nothing has come to fruition aside from him starring in several films of his own.
- Hangyodon's parents and older brother has been confirmed by Hisato on Twitter to never have gotten names.
With Family and Friends
- Hangyodon Profile on Sanrio.co.jp
- Hangyodon Ranking on SanrioCharacterRanking.com via Archive.org (2016)
- March 2016 Calendar on Sanrio.com
- March 2017 Calendar on Sanrio.com
- Hangyodon's Japanese Wikipedia Article